Friday, March 29, 2013

That's not fair!

I grew up with an older brother.  Peppered throughout my childhood, were numerous instances where I felt it vitally necessary to highlight for my parents any discrepancies in the activities that my brother and I were permitted to do.  If he was allowed to watch a movie that I wasn't, then that wasn't fair.  If he was allowed to go on a trip that I wasn't, then that wasn't fair either.  It was an immature and childish flare that I had to grow out of.  The temptation to complain whenever I recognized that someone else had some advantage or privilege that I didn't was present with me for years before I was able to distance myself from it, grow up a little, and take some responsibility.

Recently, I have noticed, peppered throughout the headlines, an unfortunate number of voices making a case for fairness in America.  There are voices that say it isn't fair how big of a gap there is between the wealthy and the poor.  Others who say these wealthy need to pay their "fair share" in taxes.

We see recent examples such as Cyprus where the country is actually freezing and taking control of money in individual bank accounts that exceed a certain amount.  Why are they doing this?  Well first of all because the country has been widely irresponsible and needs money, and secondly because they feel that these people obviously have far more than the average individual and probably don't need it.

The French President Francois Hollande has been trying desperately to tax individuals who earn more than 1 million euros at a rate of 75%!  Why?  Because, it's not "fair" that these people have so much more than the rest of us...

The cry for fairness that we hear so pronounced today is childish and shameful.  This illusive "fair share" the masses are requiring of the wealthy appears to have little to do with the amount given and far more to do with the amount they have left over after they have given.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say I really agree with you on this point. I was the younger sibling and went through the whole "it's not fair" process for the things my sister was allowed and I was not. As you said, it is something that you group out of as you grow into an adult, but I have seen with my younger cousins that the gap between fairness is starting to shrink, I know there are many things that I wouldn't have gotten just because my friend did as some children do today. I think it is sad, and almost a negative representation of society and how it's evolving. Also I didn't know about the French President and what he is doing, that is crazy, thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you on this Mark. I can't believe that people think it's not fair that some people earn tremendously more amounts of money than other people. I'm sure that those people worked hard and worked their way up on the ladder to get to that point where they make millions. Why then should they be penalized because they worked hard at their job and have earned the right to make that amount of money? That just doesn't make sense to me.

    ReplyDelete